Medical Laboratory Technician
Medical Laboratory Assistant WTCS
Scope out your future in the Medical Laboratory Technician program. If you find research exciting and like the thought of working in a lab, this is the right choice for you. This program helps you acquire the entry-level knowledge and skills you need to work in a clinical laboratory. Your work as a medical lab technician will help provide basic clues to potential illnesses, making this a rewarding career choice.
In the program you will learn how to:
- Collect and process biologic specimens for analysis.
- Perform analytical tests on blood, body fluids, and tissues.
- Recognize pre-analytical and analytical variables in laboratory testing.
- Monitor quality control.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on laboratory instruments.
- Maintain professional conduct in communication with patients, health care professionals, and the public.
The program includes a clinical experience allowing students to practice the principles and procedures of laboratory medicine in a clinical laboratory setting, including the operation of state-of-the-art instrumentation and the use of laboratory information systems to report.
When you complete the program, you will be awarded an associate of applied science degree as a Medical Laboratory Technician and will be eligible to take the national certification exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
Shared programs give students access to career majors that might not otherwise be available at their local college. Where these career fields are in high demand, two or more colleges may agree to share program components at the individual colleges. Because the colleges are collaborating, students may need to attend certain classes at another college to fulfill the program requirements. For more information please contact one of the colleges listed.
These icons may appear next to a college name:
- Program is part of a stackable pathway at this college. Click icon for career pathways rep.
- Program transfers from this college to other institutions.* Click icon for college transfer info.
- Program can be completed entirely online at this college.
Medical Lab Technician
Medical Lab Technologist
Clinical Lab Assistant