Youth Options & Start College Now

Would you like to begin working on a college degree - or even complete one - while you're still enrolled in high school?

High school students in good academic standing and who have no record of significant disciplinary problems may have the opportunity to take college courses at their local technical college. If your local school board determines a college course is eligible for high school credit and it is not comparable to any course offered by the school district, the school district will pay for the course. Once you graduate from high school, you can transfer those credits to any of the Wisconsin Technical Colleges.

If you're an interested junior or senior, meet with your high school guidance counselor to discuss your career plans and consider one of the following options:

Start College Now (formerly called Youth Options)

Meet with your high school guidance counselor to discuss your career plans and connect with the Start College Now program. Work with your high school counselor to see if you are eligible and to begin the application process. Also talk with your local/connected technical college to discuss appropriate courses and find out if those courses are available. Your local college's Career Prep Coordinator can help with questions. The deadline for applying to your school district is March 1 for the fall semester and October 1 for the spring semester. Courses that meet the requirements can be taken at any time throughout the week, during the regular academic school year.

Your school district will make its determination regarding eligibility and notify you of the decision. For more information, contact Ann Westrich at or call 608-261-4588. View the application and step-by-step instructions here.

You may also check out the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction website on Dual Credit.